Friday, June 11, 2010

Wow, time flies!

The last couple weeks have been so much fun... they have just flown right by.

As June arrives.... so does "Birthday Season" in my family and circle of friends! In just my closest friends and family there are 15 birthdays in June. Throw in the mix Anniversaries, Graduation, Father's Day, the start Summer and it makes for a very busy Amber!

Last weekend, to kick off Birthday month, I went to Reno, NV to celebrate mine with one of my closest friends, Mishelle. It juts happens that her birthday is 2 days after mine! Out husbands thought it would be a treat to give us a "break" from mommyhood and send us away for the weekend. It was a treat. I've somehow over the last few years forgotten how to let my hair down and have fun.
In my day to day, I feel like I have to be the responsible one. I have to be available to anyone and everyone who might need me at the drop of a hat. I enjoy an adult beverage here and there... but it's a rare occasion that I over indulge. Well, over indulge I did for my birthday retreat! We ate some incredible food, played cards, hung out by the very full and flowing Truckee River and enjoyed a few (many) adult beverages!

One of the things I wanted to do on our trip was check out at least one of the many Diners, Drive Ins and Dives along our route and at our destination. I made a list of the featured restaurants in Sacramento and in Reno figuring we might stop to eat on the way up on Friday. Unfortunately, we didn't make it to the Sacramento locations. On Sat night I was determined to go to one. We didn't want to move my car (because parking was severely limited due to the Euro Fest) so we tried to figure out where we could walk. We were pleasantly surprised to discover that the Gold n Silver Inn was just a couple blocks away from our hotel. It didn't disappoint! I had the Trip Tip Sandwich and Mishelle had the Sourdough Melt! SO YUMMY! We finished up the night celebrating our birthdays at the Euro Fest, where we indulged in too manyJägermeister shots and Über Beers! We had too much fun!

When I woke up at 5am (WHAT?? WHY???) I thought for sure there would be no way humanly possible that I could leave the room... let alone drive home! Thankfully, I was eventually able to fall back to sleep until around 9am. We woke up and decided it was time pack up and get the heck out of dodge. We headed off for some much needed food and coffee! Soon we were pulling into Truckee to have breakfast at the Squeeze Inn, which had been featured on Throwdown with Bobby Flay. Being a little bit hung-over from the previous nights festivities… I found the menu a tad bit overwhelming! Seriously…. Over 40 different types of omelettes? How do you decide between the Racy Tracy, Hot Sweaty Busboy, Your Mom or the Dirty Dick? Or Band Geeks United, Ditz Crew, Hangover Helper or the F.N.A. In my slightly diminished mental state I struggled to decide… so I went with their version of my standard favorite… the Denver Omelet…. The Gare Babe’s Denver. Now, this wasn’t just any Denver Omelet… it was quite possibly the best Denver Omelet I’ve ever had! The PERFECT Hangover/Birthday Breakfast!


The Drive home from Reno was tons of fun! A drive... fun? Really?? We didn't rush home, though I missed my potamus like crazy! We stopped several times.... stopped to check out scenic overlooks, stopped to play in the snow and throw snowballs at Shelle.... stopped at Ikedas to pick up some stuffed olives for my honey... and of course stopped at In-n-Out for Shelle!

When I got home I was pooped! I was ready to relax and go to sleep, but when I opened to door and my baby girl was there with my honey.... and they greeted me with a homemade cake and a birthday song, my heart was happy and there was no where in the world I'd rather be! (I didn't even mind watching Stanley Cup Playoffs on my birthday!









No comments:

Post a Comment